At The New Orleans Workers’ Center for Racial Justice (NOWCRJ), we know the change we seek to make in the world depends on our values, politics, and organizational processes. To ensure reliable administrative operations that manage our resources efficiently and help us achieve our mission, we’re seeking an experienced Operations Coordinator to implement policies, procedures, and practices that enhance organizational efficiency. This position is ideal for someone who has strong attention to detail, comfort with technology usage, and seeks to learn more about how nonprofit organizations function.
About the Organization:
The New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice (NOWCRJ) is a multi-racial membership-based organization dedicated to building the power and participation of poor people to expand democracy and transform the economy. We organize directly affected people and couple their courage and knowledge with strategic legal, policy, and communications work to build campaigns that advance racial justice, immigrant rights, and a fair economy. We are Louisiana workers, led by a united front of exploited black and immigrant workers, organizing and building the power to reclaim what is rightfully ours. Together, we are demanding dignified work, racial justice, the liberation that transcends borders, and our full participation in every decision that affects our lives. Since 2006, the Center’s organizing and policy victories have been highlighted in the New York Times, Time Magazine, and Newsweek. For more information, go to www.nowcrj.org.
About the Position
This position is based in New Orleans, LA, and includes responsibilities in the areas below:
● Maintain constant communication with management, staff, and vendors to ensure proper operations of the organization
● Oversee materials and inventory management. Coordinate routine purchases of office supplies. Manage timely data collection to reduce cost per unit, eliminate errors, and deliver excellent customer service.
● Gather data on the efficacy of existing organizational processes and procedures and work with the Director of Finance and Administration to enhance and sustain the organization’s internal capacity
● Create and administer systems that provide access to technology and other tools to NOWCRJ membership and allies, partnering with tech companies to ensure improvements in devices and systems
● Coordinate translation and interpretation services
● Assist the Director of Finance and Administration in tracking personnel matters, including professional development
● Sort and administer incoming mail
● Assist with answering and extending all calls on the central phone line
● Travel to local areas for organizational support (i.e., take computers to be fixed, pick up lunch for meetings, pick up donated items, make bank deposits, etc.)
● Manage the Co-Executive Directors’ (ED) schedule, ensuring that priority appointments are made in advance and that the Co-EDs’ schedules are manageable and include solitary work time.
● Assist Co-EDs in managing communications, including but not limited to answering calls and taking messages, returning calls as instructed, reviewing emails, and bringing priority emails to the Co-EDs’ attention.
● Assist Co-EDs in managing relationships with key funders, partners, donors, etc.
● Attend delegated meetings, take notes, and document tasks.
● Arrange Co-EDs’ travel, reimbursements, and submission of financial reports to the Director of Finance and Administration
● Assist the Director of Finance and Administration in accounting tasks, including but not limited to accounts payable
● Assist the Director of Finance and Administration in risk management activities
● Conduct budget reviews and report cost plans to the Director of Finance and Administration
● Assist with maintaining financial, personnel, and grant files
*Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
● 2+ years’ proven experience in an operations management position
● Strong administrative skills (attention to detail and follow-through, organized, time management skills, ability to multitask, etc.)
● Strong accounting skills (bookkeeping)
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Knowledge of general business software and aptitude to learn new applications; proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
● An ability to interact with a diverse group of people
● Bachelor’s degree in operations management, business administration, or a related field
● Working knowledge of management software programs, including QuickBooks, Payroll Rx, EveryAction, and Asana.
● Strong IT skills
● Multiple years of bookkeeping
● Reliable transportation
● Bilingual communication skills a plus (Spanish preferred)
NOWCRJ is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please thoroughly answer the four (4) questions below and submit them as an attachment, along with your resume as a separate document, in an email and send to email@example.com. Type your first name, last name, and the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. The application process will be open until the position is filled.
1. What about NOWCRJ’s work most excites or interests you?
2. Have you ever been involved in any of the organization's campaigns, events, or membership before? If so, please share when/how.
3. What is the biggest strength you bring to a team setting?
4. What does liberation look like for your community?